Coaching facilitates the understanding and resolution of issues that may be limiting an individual or group.
The coaching relationship is centred on the belief that long term change is more likely to take place when the coachee accesses their own resources and wisdom. The coach is not the expert but primarily a facilitator.
There are two broad approaches to coaching:
- An emphasis on learning and development to improve performance
- A focus on change, typically behavioural change
Typically, each Coachee receives between 9 and 12 hours of coaching spread over a 6 month period (or longer, if so required). In the first session the coach will work with the coachee in order to agree goals and approach, for example number of sessions, topics for discussion. It is very important to note that confidentiality is key to a successful coaching relationship and therefore a verbal and/or written contract is put in place to reflect this before any coaching commences.
Coaching is a very effective way to improve the performance of a team. Team coaching usually involves an initial engagement with the team leader and the organisation to discuss the coaching goals. This will determine the format of the coaching and facilitation. It can involve coaching the whole team and providing individual one to one coaching for members to support the team’s process.
Coaching is an ideal way to work with the following issues.
Learning a new skill/ grow a capability:
- Solve a problem
- Make an important business decision
- Adapt one’s management style/make a behavioural change
- Improve personal performance
- Communicate with increased clarity and effectiveness
- Develop emotional intelligence
- Develop deeper self-belief and confidence
- Learn how to recognise and handle organisational politics
- Learning a new skill/ grow a capability
- Prepare for a future leadership role
- Become a more effective leader
- Manage organisational change
- Develop your influencing skills
- Become more strategic
- Create a high performance team and organisation
The Big Picture:
- Find greater meaning, satisfaction and balance in your life and work
- Discover what you really want from your life
- Make a major life change